Ohio2006 Blog

News, analysis, and comments on Ohio elections.

Saturday, August 19

Cong. OH-18: "Old Fogey" Firman (R) Steps Up

I love this guy! Retired from farming, army aviation, and newspaper publishing, 70-year-old Samuel "Jerry" Firman (R-Coschocton) is a citizen journalist who blogs under the name Old Fogey. His blogging activities led him to a meeting at the Tuscarawas Board of Elections, where he learned about the special primary election to replace Rep. Bob Ney and decided then and there to run for public office. The Coschocton Tribune fills us in:
Firman ... resides on Township Road 26 in Keene Township at the intersection known as Cows Corner. His campaign headquarters is not high tech - he has one phone line and dial-up Internet connection. His budget is not large - he gets by on a small Social Security check. The 70-year-old U.S. Army veteran and former owner of the Free Enterpriser says his military background and years as a newsman are the only qualifications he needs to win the race.

"I have no political background," Firman said. As a young man, he registered as a Democrat. As he got older, he changed to the Republican party and later to an Independent. "Now I'm a Republican ... and I'm going to be the best Republican I can be." ...

"I have the experience. I have the intelligence. And if anyone doubts either of these things I have a great body of writings that I have done over the years, most of which now is available online."
Firman's blog is refreshing -- honest, funny, no posturing. He's proud to have filed petitions to run in this race, and I can't help but feel proud too. It's a great country!

4 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Thank you so much for highlighting this, Jeff. What a great story. Good luck to him. Maybe he and Angry Grandpa should get together.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger scott bakalar said...

Great Story Jeff - thanks for bringing this to our attention - perhaps we can do a MTB debate with Angry Grandpa taking the left and Old Fogey taking the right positions - that one would get a lot of downloads!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Jill said...

GREAT idea, Scott! More reasons why we love politics.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Jerry Firman, I just read your article and sure appreciate the kind words. Thank the comments also. I'll have to meet Angry Grandpa. He sounds like my kind of guy. Left or right. It is going to take us all to get this place straightened up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home