Ohio2006 Blog

News, analysis, and comments on Ohio elections.

Monday, September 18

Ohio House 57th: Martin (R) Steals My Photograph for Lying Attack Ad - UPDATED

I do not consent. I object.

I have a Creative Commons license on this site that limits usage of what I publish here. Use of my photographs for campaign ads without my permission is not allowed.

Martin is airing a negative ad today that uses my picture of his opponent from this blog. Moreover, the TV ad in question is a blatant lie. Martin accuses challenger Matt Lundy (D-Elyria) of "raising county taxes" while a member of a city council. City council members do not raise county taxes. As Lundy points out in an email to me, it was Martin, not Lundy, who voted for the largest tax increase in Ohio history by voting for Gov. Bob Taft's sales tax increase (H.B. 95) on his first day on the job in 2003.

This ad is false, it is despicable, and Martin's use of my photograph is theft, plain and simple.

I demand that Rep. Earl Martin (R-Avon Lake) immediately cancel any and all advertising using any images or descriptions from this blog. I also demand a full public apology.

UPDATE: Thank you to the many readers who are expressing their outrage to Rep. Earl Martin over this gross abuse of intellectual property rights. His contact information is (614) 644-5076, fax (614) 719-3957, email district57@ohr.state.oh.us

2nd UPDATE: Rep. Martin is trying to weasel out of responding to my protest by having his legislative aide send this evasive response to emails about stealing my photograph:
You will have to contact the Ohio Republican Party regarding this ad.

This email and office is Representative Martin's for work regarding the
Ohio House of Representatives and is prohibited in engaging in campaign
related work.

Thank you,

Travis Lockney
Legislative Aide to
State Representative Earl Martin
I have resent my objection to the only address on Martin's pathetic campaign site, which is info@martinforohiohouse.com, and to the Ohio Republican Party, contact information as follows:

(614) 228-2481 phone
(614) 228-1093 fax
info@ohiogop.org

3rd UPDATE: More weaseling. The Ohio Republican Party, the "party of personal responsiblity," won't accept any:
Mr. Coryell

The Ohio Republican Party is not involved in television advertising for
Republican candidates for the Ohio House.

Your complaint needs to be directed elsewhere.

Kind Regards,

Ohio GOP

4 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you please keep us updated as this story progresses?
(and thanks for the excellent blog).

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've written him and cc'd you -- and as I said in my message, it's funny how Republicans always want to crack down on crime until they're the ones doing it. Pathetic.

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like the mature "it's everybody else's fault but ours" from the GOP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home