Ohio2006 Blog

News, analysis, and comments on Ohio elections.

Sunday, September 3

... And The Bloggers Meet Tony Packo's


After our Meet the Bloggers interview with Lucas County Commissioner candidate Ben Konop (D-Toledo), we four Cleveland-area bloggers headed across the mighty Maumee River for a late lunch at the classic Toledo diner Tony Packo's. An institution in the Hungarian neighborhood of Birmingham since 1932, this restaurant is well known to Tim and Gloria Ferris but a new experience for George Nemeth and me.


Here Tim mugs with a display in the entryway. There is a new Tony Packo's near Fifth Third Field where the minor league Toledo Mud Hens play, which was very close to the location of our MTB interview, but the Ferrises insisted that George and I must experience the original restaurant.


We sat by a big framed black-and-white photograph of the cast of the TV show M*A*S*H, brandishing heaping plates at an overflowing buffet table provided by Tony Packo's. Cast member Jamie Farr (Max Klinger) was from the neighborhood.


Shameless commercial exploitation is all part of the charm of the Tony Packo's experience. George went home with a bottle of sweet hot ketchup and a bottle of relish. I will admit that I was tempted by the dancing pickle puppets. I'm sure that Sam and Stella would love them, and devour them.


The walls are covered with autographed hot dog buns, displayed in special plastic containers. Here are a few near our table, including Tony Randall and Charles Keating. It's hard to think of famous people who aren't on the walls somewhere. Ken Blackwell? Of course. Bill Clinton? You bet.

This was the spread for four hungry bloggers. To your left is my lunch of stuffed cabbage (delightful), sausage, and heaps of pickles. In front are paprikash dumplings, chili dogs, and chili. Somewhere on the table are deep fried pickle chunks with dipping sauces. What a splendid repast! I get a little heartburn just remembering it.

5 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they pour a proper pint... of Guinness, of course!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Tim Ferris said...

Burp!

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys need to come back on the Sunday night before the Election for Peter Ujvagi's legendary All-You-Can-Eat Chicken Paprikas Dinner.

It's at Stephen's Church just across from Packo's (sort of). It's the one political dinner that I never miss because it is the only one where the food is worth more than what the tickets cost.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Okay, Earl has got me completely intrigued with the Chicken Paprikas dinner! I grew up on the stuff and make a pretty darned good version of it myself, but the adjective "legendary" just may get me on the road to Toledo to check it out for myself.

BTW, it's been ages since I've been there, but Tony Packo's is a blast.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, Eastern European food — the last bastion of vegetarian-unfriendliness! I guess I can't complain too much because overall, the eating-out picture has improved for us herbivores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home